Monday, June 8, 2009

Tsuyu



June in Japan generally marks the beginning of tsuyu, the hot and rainy summer season.

Umbrellas and rain boots are seen everywhere! As most of you know, I LOVE rainy weather. It is a bit more difficult to enjoy with small children, but I still love it.

Although it doesn't rain every single day, most days are dark and gloomy. I have the say the one thing I don't like about the rainy season is that it means the hot and humid weather is just around the corner. Yuck.

Even though most people don't enjoy the rainy season, it marks a very beautiful time here.



Hydrangeas, one of my favorite flowers, are in full bloom and are a symbol of the rainy season here. And some people believe that historical places such as Kyoto and Nara, are considered better to visit during a good rain to really soak in the mood. Traditional Japan takes on a romantic and spiritual sense during this season.

I remember the first time Rowen saw rain in San Diego. It rarely rains there (which saddens me :) Anyway, we were getting out of the car to go to lunch and he starts screaming, wet!! wet!!...
I had to calm him down and explain that we were only going a few steps to the restaurant and that he would be okay...

If he could only remember that moment. Now when they notice it's raining, Rowen and Arjun grab their rain coats and hurry off to jump in the puddles :)


No comments:

Post a Comment